Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday roast

I'm not a big cook. I like to keep it simple. Consequently, my evening meal repertoire consists of: pasta and sauce, hot and sour soup, shrimp and veggies, dumplings and veggies, and steak and baked potatoes in rotation.

But the six weeks I was working a full-time job in the boonies, my diet was reduced to not much through sheer laziness. A brioche loaf got a lot of mileage. As well as canned soup and salmon spread on crackers. And cups of Bovril.

I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself. Eating healthily fights off colds, gives your skin a warm glow, improves your mood. I skipped all that and then filled up on chocolate bars and cookies in between meals because I was weak with hunger. It's a wonder I'm not the size of a house. Especially because I stopped going to the gym because of my exhausting 1-hour+ extravaganza journey home.

Tonight, however, I excelled myself by becoming a gastronomical wonder. I made a roast beef with roast potatoes, vegetables, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. And all from scratch!

I am still in shock. It was absolutely delicious. A proper English roast with all the trimmings. And I made it!

I even did the washing up.

How about that for a Sunday evening?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How aBOUT that! ;)
Congratulations! I think I might have moved once or twice this evening but I don't really remember and don't have the energy to try and think about it.

Oh, wait, I know I moved at least once, I'm out of Diet Coke.

March 12, 2007 at 3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about that for a Sunday evening?

Sounds perfect! How about the 25th?

March 12, 2007 at 4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh that sounds delicious! my mouth just started watering! i think i need to go and make myself something to eat now.... mmmm food....

*salivates*

March 12, 2007 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger qb said...

Ooh goodness, you've certainly put me to shame! I swear I'm on a quick path to diabetes..

(btw, I had to evacuate -- this is fille franglaise ;) )

March 12, 2007 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Damn you! I am sitting at work having a lunchless lunchbreak - as ever - and reading about food. I'm afraid I may even have drooled all over the keyboard!

March 13, 2007 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

Ed R - My ever-faithful fan! Stick your dentures in a glass of Coke overnight and see what happens.

Cliff - I know March 25 is Passion Sunday, the beginning of Passion week, but does that mean people traditionally cook up a roast?

JALG - I had the leftovers last night. Just as delicious as Sunday.

gb - Don't worry, I have a sweet tooth too. It's uncontrollable. I can't have anything sweet in the house or else I'll devour it in one sitting.

Ariel - Wipe your keyboard clean with your sleeve and control yourself girl!

March 13, 2007 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum!!! Sounds like your tastebuds went on a trip to heaven. l love yorkshire pudding l was introduced to it by an english friend years ago.

March 13, 2007 at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home