Sunday, February 25, 2007

Someday I'll fly away

It's inevitable that at some point you're going to leave your fly open by mistake. Because let's face it, we pull our fly up and down (or rather down and up) so many times in one day that it's bound to happen sooner or later. We're only human after all.

This has happened quite a few times to me. But also because I left it down on purpose and forgot to pull it back up when social circumstances called for it.

Incident 1-100
Cause: Tardiness
I hit snooze too many times and overlooked my fly in my hurry to get dressed and dash out the door for my 1-hour+ extravaganza journey to work/brunch with a friend/trip to the gym/etc. When this happens, I finish dressing in the metro or bus without a care for who's watching because I still have sleep in my eyes. I've also been known to take my inside-out T-shirt off and put it back on the right way upon arriving at the office.

Incident 101
Cause: Bloatedness
I'd undone my fly on a transatlantic flight because I always get bloated on such a long flight. When I stood on my chair to get my bag out of the overhead locker upon landing, I completely forgot my fly was still open. My jumper rose, revealing my open fly to anyone watching.

Incident 102
Cause: Overeating
I'd gone over to a friend's house for a dinner party and gorged myself as per usual on a scrumptious feast. When I got up from the table post-dinner, I completely forgot I'd opened my fly to ease my full tummy, revealing my open fly to luckily just the host, who was a little inebriated and high anyway.

Incident 103
Cause: Shenanigans
My boyfriend and I had been sneekily canoodling in the bathroom at a thanksgiving dinner. I came out of the bathroom first with a silly grin on my face and my fly proudly open to just one person who happened to be looking - a guy who'd asked me out on a date a couple of years ago and who I'd spinelessly turned down with the excuse, "I'm busy but I'll call you next week" and who I'd not called next week or indeed ever again.

Incident 104
Cause: Forgetfulness
I had a debrief with someone at work (which involved her sitting at her desk and me standing up, ie, my fly not far from her eye level). It wasn't until afterwards that I realized I must have forgotten to pull my fly up after my visit to the ladies' room. How unprofessional of me.

Tip of the day:
If you are prone to any of these causes, throw away all those grey overwashed knickers and instead wear a lovely pair of knickers every single day, don a cheeky smile, and you can get away with almost anything.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about laundry day???

February 25, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUy a pair special for laundry day;)

I'll be honest- I don't ever recall seeing a woman with her fly down in public. I must be looking elsewhere.

February 26, 2007 at 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halarious!! How about the skirt tucked into undies one...

February 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god! that happended to me in the middle of a primary school play!!! i was bouncing around reciting my lines and everyone was laughing.... traumatising moment that.

February 26, 2007 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

JALG - Do laundry BEFORE you're out of knickers. Your blog is naughty girl. So naughty maybe being without knickers isn't an issue.

Ed R - You've got to be looking when you shouldn't be, that's the secret.

Cleo - Welcome! Why doesn't anyone tell you when that happens. Love your new blog btw.

February 26, 2007 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I am looking WHEN I should be but not WHERE.
I think I need a coach for htis sort of thing.

February 26, 2007 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

I will soon post Tips on Spying Ladies Underwear especially for you. But in the meantime, keep your eyes on ladies' flies at all times, just in case you hit a winner.

February 26, 2007 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not all the time.... but ofcourse on days like my 'moist' day knickers create a very welcome layer:)

February 26, 2007 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Spoon said...

This reminds me a meeting where I was trying to sell my services to a reputable children's theatre company. I began the meeting unsure of how clean my nose was. It was too late to look in a mirror, and I was sure that nobody would have the decency to tell me.Throughout this meeting people were definitely staring at my face. When it was all over, after clearing my only slightly dirty nose, I discovered that my fly's were undone.

Had a small bogey distracted the attention away from my flies being undone, or were people looking at the bogey simply as it was the lesser of two evils?

February 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

I personally think a stray bogey is much worse than an unzipped fly. Although I'm not sure why it would have people transfixed so. Surely people would look away, embarrassed for you. Unless the bogey was so small that they spent the entire meeting trying to figure out what exactly was on your face.

February 26, 2007 at 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really more of a breast man, to be honest.
And yes, I would notice THAT. ;)

February 27, 2007 at 1:36 AM  
Blogger Julia Buckley said...

I have a smililar string of embarrasing fly-undone stories - thanks for the tip!

February 28, 2007 at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home