Sunday, February 11, 2007

I see

Today I decided I should go downtown and swap my glasses for another pair. Because the ones I purchased two weeks ago seem to be too heavy for my poor delicate nose. And the black and white design only goes with black. And I think they're too overbearing and not really me.

Last weekend I already went in to take advantage of their 30-day exchange policy. This policy, frequently advertised on TV, says that if you happen to change your mind it's not a problem! However, when I went in, the nice lady optician insisted I try out the new silicone nose pads she fitted instead. Okay then. But a week later, no joy.

This afternoon I returned and browsed the lighter frames and decided on a metallic blue low-key pair I really like. I sat down with a different optician to go through the paperwork.

"Just out of curiosity, could you try on the old pair and the new pair for me?" he said.

Obliging, I put on the heavy pair. Then the lighter pair. I look at myself in the mirror again thinking, yes, these are them.

"The first ones give you personality," the guy says. "Those are just blah."

My face drops.

"But it's completely up to you," he adds, getting the paperwork out.

I don't know what to say. I am flummoxed. My boyfriend thankfully jumps in.

"They're very stylish and all but not very flexible. And of course a bit too heavy." That is the point here after all.

"Well," the guy continues unfazed, "blah it is." Unbelievable. Not only is this guy rude but it seems he doesn't think twice about dissing glasses that he personally may not like but are still sold by the store.

I note the guy's own flash glasses that perhaps are his own attempt to make up for his complete lack of style and tact.

"I don't think you should have to rely on your glasses to give you personality," comes out of my mouth.

Ha! What a line! I thought of something to say! And not 20 minutes later! This is a first!

I leave the store with my new glasses on order, still basking in the joy of answering back. Then I plagued my boyfriend with, Do you really think they're blah, do you think they make me look blah, why wasn't that guy nice to me? for the next 20 minutes.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO, they don't make you look blah. And you really ought to look that guy's manager up and let him know that his employee's client-side manner isn't exactly great.

February 11, 2007 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

YEAH! They make me look fabulous! Er, well, don't they?

February 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh absolutely. Not that you need any help with that.

February 12, 2007 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Spoon said...

We should be thankful that this guy doesn't work in a plastic surgery clinic with comments like that.

February 12, 2007 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

These double F cups really give you personality. Those B cups are just blah.

February 12, 2007 at 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that Metric or Standard? See, cuz, like, I know lots of women with great personality who couldn't fill an F cup with a ladle. And lots of women with F cups who couldn't fill a ladle with their personality.

February 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had my own brush with obnoxious people today. They really can just piss you off can't they.

I'm sure they look cool and are not blah. Take comfort in the fact that you chose a pair he would not. Least you don't have to worry about looking like him.

And good for you for biting back. I bet he is so self-involved he spent the day complaining about you being rude when he was "just trying to help."

February 12, 2007 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

I am stoked! I have fans!

Ed R - ever met anyone with F cups AND a great personality. That surely would be a sight for sore eyes.

Fatman - I went to pick up my new glasses after work today. They look great! I saw the twat serving another customer. God knows what he was saying. Possibly: "These really are lovely. Shame about your ugly face."

February 12, 2007 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure have, DiB. Boobs and personality are not neccesarily mutually exclusive. For my money, boobs are the bonus;)

February 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home