Friday, February 9, 2007

Cold knees

I have been inspired to write a post about Montreal bus drivers by Non-working monkey. Such an excellent advertisement for Montreal public transport is a rare thing in today's society. Please, check it out before you read on...
Yesterday it was particularly cold. Like -20 or something. My trip to the office includes two metro lines and a 15-minute bus ride. Alright, maybe I was a little late for the bus. But I ran from the metro platform, believe me I ran. I sprinted up the stairs, sprinted up the escalators, pushed through the crowds, and was literally just a couple of metres from the bus door when the bloody bus driver closed the doors and drove off. Why? WHY?
I was gutted. Completed gutted. And sweaty. And seriously pissed off. Another bus was innocently chugging away on the other side of the bus terminal with its doors open so I went over to see if it was heading in the same direction. "Yes, but you'll have to walk a way," the driver said politely, but with a bit of a grin. Did I mention it was -20?
Now I had two choices. Take yet another taxi, bearing in mind that I already took one on Monday, or brave the walk. Crazily, I decided to go with the latter.
The bus driver stopped at the closest stop and opened the doors. "Go straight then turn left," he said still grinning as I put my hat and gloves back on. Oh God.
The go straight part lasted a good 10 minutes, and the turn left part another 5. I thought I was going to die. I couldn't feel my knees anymore and my ears felt like blocks of ice.
Will it stop me from being late in the mornings? Nah, I'm a creative. Will it make me hate bus drivers even more? Oh yeah, bring it on.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minus 20? Thats mad! Mad as a spider on a brush as we say in my house (it's a weird story).

I thought it was cold when I visited NY and it was something like minus 10.

Bloody bus drivers! Little Tin Gods they are, imbued with a misplaced sense of power. I feel for you. Something should be done about them.

February 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would jog it!! or would if I could physically, in all honesty would go for Taxi option

February 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

Fatman - Like the mad as a spider on a brush. A weird story I strongly feel you should share with us. Out of curiosity, what do you propose we do with all the moronic bus drivers of the world?

Steven_P - Jog? Me? At 8:30 in the morning? Let me think about that one... nah. Plus my cold cold knees were in no fit state for such intense activity.

February 11, 2007 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I'm a creative'.
That's been my excuse for decades. Guess what? It never works.

You know,m you WOULD pick the very weekend I am out of town and not online to go on a huge posting spree, wouldn't you?

February 11, 2007 at 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and if it were me, my anger would be enough to keep me warm for days. At LEAST long enough to hunt the original bus driver down, seduce him, get him back to my place, drug him, strip him down, shave his entire body, wrap him in sandpaper, and dump him off downtown somewhere.

February 11, 2007 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

Oh my! Ed R, I am shocked! I wouldn't want to make you mad. My knees are knocking even across cyberspace.

Sorry for the posting spree without you. How was I supposed to know you were away... being creatively late at coming back. What do you do btw?

February 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a computer programmer , and I build guitars when the computer contracts dry up.
Aw come on, I betcha your kness are just knocking from teh cold;)

February 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Day in bed said...

I am trembling like a girl. From you being a computer programmer.

February 12, 2007 at 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I generally have that effect on women.
Is that a good trembling or a bad trembling? I don't want to scare anyone- my looks alone are enough for that.

February 12, 2007 at 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see i'm a bit late for this post but that advert was blody brilliant! i was jigging in my seat.
please stop laughing...

February 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

November 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home