Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Go Habs go!

Tonight I went to see a hockey match. It’s something else - the crowd, the noise, the excitement. I pigged out on hotdogs and chips and tried to follow the game. Because I’m somewhat of a novice at this. Plus it was difficult to concentrate at times with the girl next to me splashing her beer around. I was convinced I would be splattered on at some point. Luckily, I got out unscathed. But not before having the following conversation with her during one of the intermissions.

Her: Why are they playing that advertisement here?

It was a circus ad.

Me: To convince people to go.

Her: Yeah, but what’s the point?

Me: It plays with people’s minds.

I caught myself and stopped. Yep, such is the nature of what I do for a living. Manipulating people, making them believe they truly need a product or service, making them change perceptions and behaviour. Gotta love it.

What is it with Canadians and hockey anyway? Why is it such a popular game? Why do kids start playing as soon as they can walk?

Of course there’s that whole thing that you should take an interest in stuff your boyfriend is interested in. My boyfriend also plays in a work hockey league. It’s a lot of hockey for one person to handle. And I’m not talking about him.

But you know what? I surprised myself. I never thought that Go Habs go! and Olé olé olé olé would ever enter my vocabulary. Tonight they did. As I screamed them at the top of my voice.

Now I need to learn the rules.

1 Comments:

Blogger Momo said...

It happened the same with me when I was to see a soccer match...I couldn't believe that it was just me all yelling the Ole-Ole-Ole thing...it was in my inner and I didn't know. And when the favourite team made 1-0 I didn't understand why they all repeated...it was an offsite!

December 14, 2006 at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home